Squats! They can really transform your lower body. You can combine these squat variations to get a good workout in using your own body’s resistance and cardio moves.
This workout will work the entire leg and glute muscles plus much more! (To up the intensity of the workout, feel free to add ankle and /or hand weights.) (Go as fast or slow as you need or want.)
Let’s get started! (Try to do 12 reps of each exercise.)
- Squat with a lateral jump and burpeePut your feet about hip-distance apart and do a squat. Jump into a plank and then jump up. With your feet together, hop over to your left. (I used an object to jump over to help me.) Repeat this process on the other side. This will be one rep.
- Squat and reach with a leg liftDo a squat with arms in the air.Push yourself up lifting right leg.Squat back down.Stand up and reach, lifting left leg. This is one rep.
- Squat with side leg liftSquat down.Stand lifting left leg.Repeat on the right side. This is one rep.
- Squat hopsSquat down and jump up. This is one rep.
- Squat with heel clicksSquat down and jump up, clicking heels together. This is one rep. Continue doing 11 more.
- Squat jumpsSquat down and hop to your left. Then hop to the back. Then to the right. And, finally up to where you started, making a square formation. Try to keep a low squat the whole time. This will be one rep.
- Squat with a 180 degree turnDo a wide squat. Jump up and turn your body all the way around, landing back in your wide squat.Repeat the exercise, turning all the way around again, back to where you started. This will be one rep.
- One-legged squatLift one leg and do 12 squats. Keep your core tight for balance.Repeat on the other leg.
- Sumo Squat with torso twistGet in a with squat with toes facing out. While in squat, turn your torso to left and punch with arm across your body. Repeat on other side. This is one rep.
- Plie squat with calf raiseDo a wide-legged squat with toes facing out. Lift left heel and then right heel. Now put the left heel down and then the right. This is one rep.
- Wide-leg squat hopsIn a wide-legged squat, hop up and down. This is one rep.
- Curtsy squatStep your right leg behind your left like you are curtsying. Squat down. This is one rep.Repeat on the other side.
- Chair squat with a torso twistSquat down like you are sitting in a chair and twist your torso to the right. Repeat on the other side. This is one rep.
- Squat holdGet into a wide-legged squat and hold as long as possible. You do not have to do 12 of these.
- Back one-legged squatsLift your left leg back and squat down on your right. This is one rep. Repeat on the other side.
Warm up for five minutes by running and/or jumping in place.
Do squats with burpee and lateral jump. (12 reps)
Do squat and reach with a leg lift. (12 reps)
Do Squats with side lift. (12 reps)
Do squat hops. (12 reps)
Do squats with heel clicks. (12 reps)
Do squat jumps. (12 reps)
Do squats with 180-degree turns. (12 reps)
Do one-legged squats. (12 reps on each side)
Do sumo squats with torso twist. (12 reps)
Do plie squats with calf raises. (12 reps)
Do wide-leg squat hops. (12 reps)
Do curtsy squats. (12 reps)
Do chair squat with a torso twist. (12 reps)
Do a squat hold.
Do back one-legged squats. (12 reps)
*Challenge yourself to work up to doing this routine three rounds.
Cool down with marching or walking in place for five minutes.
That’s it! Fifteen squat exercises working all around the leg, the gluteus, and the torso with cardio to boot!